Sunday, April 3, 2011

World Cup

WE WON!! WE WON!! WE WON!!

The last ball flew for a SIX and the feeling was Euphoric.

I was never a big Cricket buff, but its difficult to ignore the sport when you are living in India. People eat live and breathe cricket. Every lane and every corner there is a ball flying and children with tiny worn out bats using brick as stumps playing their own match. Each one living the dream of becoming the next 'Sachin Tendulkar'. You know there is a big match being played when you see a huge crowd outside a TV showroom shouting and cheering. People rushing back home from work like there was a catastrophe. Cricket means different things to different people. To my dad its a religion. He has to see every ball that was bowled. To my mom it was a Hijacked TV and a major interruption in watching her TV serials. To one sister it was all about the cute players. To the other it was about emphasising the point 'of how sports can be a profession'. To me it was a big reunion, lots of food, endless cricket spam on Facebook, sleepless nights and a croaky voice the next day with all the screaming and shouting.

Watching the World Cup away from Home is devastating. (Especially when its in your city and India is in the Finals.). However, live updates on You -Tube and continuous messages from my cricket crazy friends made me feel like I was almost there. The World Cup Finals is the only match in all these years that I watched religiously from start to end. It was like being under a spell. I did not move an inch believing it would change the team's luck. When the final ball was hit the stadium erupted and I had tears of joy. God had answered a billion prayers today. I felt honoured to be an important part of History.

Cricket to me that day was a small part of a Bigger Picture called Life. I would like to share a few things I realised and learnt that day from the match that united billions.

1) Believe in the decisions you take.
2) Things may not always go as you imagine but Hold On and Keep Fighting.
3) There is always a knight in shining armour who will lead you out of the ditch.
4) Respect and cherish your friends. They know how to fulfil your dreams.
5) Prayers have Power
6) Finish it in Style.

1 comment: